Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Subir

Today was Benedicte and my first day at the hospital. Technically, it should have been yesterday, but due to some unforseen troubles with the organizer of our program, today was the day. We showed up at the Sol y Vida office and waited for the organizer (whose name I´m not sure of) to tell us what to do. I don´t think she likes us very much because she was talking in Spanish to another person there (I dont think she knew I could understand her) and was saying how she was annoyed that we were there and why did she need to show us around again... Uh oh.

Anyways, it turned out that the people we are working with are all very nice, so it´s ok. We don´t really ever have to talk to that woman... We started out in the big open waiting room area, where we will work on mondays and fridays. This was really intimidating and overwhelming for me. Basically, we had a table with a bunch of toys and books and things and kids and some mothers would come over to use it. It wasn´t that nice for us though, because the kids we usually with their parents, so they weren´t very social. It was kind of awkward to just sit and watch the kids play.

But after a few minutes, the same organizer woman came down and told us to go up to the fourth floor, where the long term patients were housed. We spent the rest of the day in a big play room with lots of children. This was actually a lot nicer. There were a lot of really nice nurses who introduced us to some of the kids and we basically spent the morning coloring and playing with blocks.

All in all, I think it´s going to be a good experience. I´m hoping that we can also do some more medically relivant things, but I guess we´ll see.

I also just paid my Cotopaxi guide, so I´m officially going to climb next weekend (9/20-21). I´m pretty pumped.

No comments: