Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Conundrum

I think I ought to start writing earlier in the day. See, the problem is that I want to be able to write about the day as a whole, yet usually by the time I get to the end of the day I’m tired enough that I don’t feel like it. Quite a conundrum.

Let’s see, where to begin. I woke up a little later, which was nice after a pretty late night last night, and headed over to Annie’s. We did some work on her Dad’s office and then took a break. We headed out to get some lunch at main street’s and stopped by Crosby’s and Concord Lumber for some groceries/painting supplies. We got back, unpacked and then decided it was a nice enough time as ever to work out. So, we drove back into town (oh-so-efficient with the gas…) and I dropped her at CA to x-train and I drove to the Minuteman trail-head. I did an out and back run on that trail which ended up being about 10k. I had been hoping to keep the pace under 6:30 and ended up average 6:37, so not too bad. I’d also like to note here that this is the farthest I’ve run post-injury by 1.2 miles. So, all in all, I think it’s not too shabby. The only problem was I felt like I was running more like 6:10 effort and turning out 6:40 miles. I did do a pretty hard bike yesterday, so that could be it. Who knows…

Picking up Annie from CA was a much bigger deal than I had imagined. First of all, it was CA summer camp pick-up time, so there were a million little kids and preppy looking kids in pink CA shirts wandering all over the campus. Secondly, she wasn’t actually done with her workout, so I had half an hour or so to kill. I decided to walk to cumbie’s and back as a bit of a cool-down, but mostly to get a Gatorade because I was feeling light-headed.

Finally, we headed back to her house and actually did some work. After a few hours, I came home and had some dinner with my parents and went on a nice long walk through the neighborhood and talked to Kelly for a while. She seems to be in pretty rough shape; I’m worried about her. Apparently she has a meeting tomorrow with her parents and therapist as to whether or not she should wait to go to college and enroll in an anorexia rehab program for a few months. I don’t know exactly the whole story, but what I’ve heard is pretty upsetting. Basically, she seems to be back to as bad a place, if not worse, than she was in when she was first brought under the eyes of doctor’s and therapists almost eight months ago now. It seems really terrible that they could let her get to this point when they have apparently been monitoring her pretty closely. How does this happen? How is a teenage girl with a known eating disorder allowed to lose weight with doctors allegedly weighing her often and tracking her weight to the point where she now weighs less than she did when this whole process began? That’s pretty upsetting.

On a lighter note, tomorrow I’m going to run pine hill for the first time since cross country season. I’m pretty psyched about that.

I’m going to try and get some rest now. I’ve found that if I don’t get nine hours of sleep, my workouts don’t go too well.

No comments: