Sunday, August 3, 2008

Getting Closer

A break from the usual. Today started out long before my days usually do. I woke up at 7:00 to get ready for the race. My parents drove me up to Newburyport and I registered and got some water and then just relaxed for about an hour. The race itself was way behind schedule. There were four races set to go off in 15 minute intervals. Not only did they start 20 minutes late, but the intervals were more like 20 minutes, rather than 15. Since I was running in the men’s open race, which happened to be the last race, I was bestowed the joy of racing in the heat and sun. Fun, fun, fun!

For some reason, I felt unusually nervous before the start. Perhaps it was the waiting and waiting that took its toll on me. Perhaps it’s the fact that I’ve only raced once in the past 8 months. Perhaps it’s the fact that I’ve never raced this distance before. Either way, wandering around the starting line, I felt like I was an insect among gods. Everyone there looked incredibly fit. I just felt out of place.

The race was short. The gun went off and I managed not to go out way too fast, only a little too fast. I ran the first quarter in 69, a good bit faster than I had aimed. I’m not 100% sure what my 800 and 1200 splits were, but I ended up coming in around 5:0something. Still, I had a lot of energy left at the end to kick, so I feel like I just don’t really know how to race this distance yet.

All in all, I’m happy with the time I ran given the effort I put in. Certainly a new PR and not bad for all of 16 miles per week. Place-wise, I think I was 37th out of around 100 (but that’s just the men), so eh, not too bad. Again, I don’t think I should expect too much more from this performance.

After the race we drove home, relaxed a little, and then went into Boston for Shakespeare in the Park. The play was As You Like It, quite solid. Good dinner from PF Chang’s. I’m super drained though, so I’m going to call it a night.

No comments: