Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Sinister Minister

Last night I saw a pretty intense concert. It was one of the best double-features I’ve ever seen. First was Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and second was Return to Forever. The Flecktones are one of the strangest instrumented bands ever: banjo, electric bass, saxophone, and electric drums. The music is a fusion of jazz, funk, and bluegrass (all instrumental) and the sound is unbelievable. Bela Fleck is one of the best banjo players I know of (certainly the best jazz-banjo player, though, albeit, they are in short supply). In addition, Victor Wooten on the electric bass is regarded as one of the best bass players in the world. All in all, an incredibly tight band.

Return to Forever was a group that I didn’t really know much about and so I was utterly shocked when they started playing. First of all, I thought they were a lot older (they were started in the late 1970s, I believe), so the music seemed much more modern than I expected. Also, every single player in the band was a virtuoso on his instrument, most notably the guitar player, Al Di Meola, who, I believe, may have be the pioneer of the “shred” guitar movement. All in all, this was a night that far exceeded my expectations.

Today was all right. It was a little crappy here and there. I woke up with really bad pain in my right hip-flexor and a little in my left, and I started to freak out. Before I got my stress fracture in February, I had a lot of pain in my hip-flexor, so I was afraid I had overdone it and was going to have to deal with another four month break from running. Still, I went over to Annie’s to paint and eventually she mentioned her hip-flexor was sore as well, so I felt a little better since we both did similar Pine Hill workouts yesterday. Also, I realized that it probably does make sense for the HF to be sore if you’ve been doing steep, steep hill repeats all day. I’m a little calmer about that now, but still uber paranoid.

I’ve been feeling kind of pissed off all day and I’m not sure it’s coming from one specific place. I think I may be getting addicted to running again and I’m feeling the withdrawal on the days I can’t run. Also, Annie and I got in a bit of a fight this afternoon. Basically, I didn’t want her to go back to work for the next week or so because I thought it was too soon given that she is still recovering from mono and is trying to train. Obviously, I’m slightly biased because if she doesn’t go to work it means I probably get to spend more time with her, so that’s also on my agenda. Still, she decided to go back to work, despite the fact that we only have a few weeks left on the same continent. Oh well. Yihyeh beseder.

I did get to go out to dinner with Jenny, which was nice. I haven’t seen her in a long while (maybe since graduation?), so it was really great to catch up. We got dinner and then wandered around the city a bit. I got my mom a birthday present (her birthday is on Monday) and then headed home.

I’m not really sure why this one thing with Anna and the work bothered me so much. I think that maybe it’s the fact that it seems like she has a complete disregard for what’s going on on my end of the equation sometimes. Like, today when we were arguing about her farming she mentioned that we would have the whole last week after she finished to spend together. This, however, would be assuming that I don’t have any commitments that week. What if I got a job that week? But see, this is the difference between us: I wouldn’t. I guess I feel like I’m tired of making all the sacrifices in this relationship. And I know that that’s a huge exaggeration and that everyone sacrifices things, but I guess I feel like I’ve been getting the short end of the stick recently.

I’m not really sure what to do about this or even if there is anything that I CAN do about this. In fact, the one thing I do know is that I don’t want to spend the last few weeks I have with her being pissed off all the time. I really do want these weeks to be happy and memorable.

In other news, I was reminded that I leave three weeks from Monday. Holy shit.

No comments: