Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Cycle


Another day spent mostly covered in paint. Is my life becoming too ritualistic? Sometimes I worry about that. I worry that if I fall into a pattern, even if it’s a really wonderful pattern as I’m in now, then suddenly the days blend together and, before I know it, a month has gone by. Sometimes I have to switch things up and make every day seem like an individual day, rather than a piece of a larger whole.

I’m running a race tomorrow morning, so I won’t be too long here. I’ll review the day a bit since I’m not feeling too prolific currently. I woke up in the late morning; it was nice to sleep in for the first time in a while. I spent a little bit of time trying to fix my external hard-drive, which ended up going well (surprise, a first for tech problems…). I headed over to the Hager’s after to do some more painting. The big hole that I had plastered yesterday was looking pretty good and I put another layer of spackle on it. I spent most of the afternoon painting and driving back and fourth from Concord Lumber. Annie was in and out; she went to CA to work for a while, so I spent a lot of time on my own, which was actually kind of nice. It reminded me a bit of when I was cooking for the golf tournament and I would just put on an old album that I hadn’t heard in a while and zone out and really focus. It was the same basic thing except I was painting shelves instead of cooking burgers.

In the evening, Anna brought Elson over and we took him for a walk around the neighborhood. It was a nice night and it felt good to just get out for a bit. I’m now going to try to get to bed so that I can be relatively well rested for tomorrow. I don’t have too high hopes. I think I can run sub 5:30; I’m hoping to run sub 5:12, and really hoping to run sub 5:00. Most of all, I’m just hoping to not embarrass myself.

No comments: