Saturday, August 23, 2008

Upping the Anti

Well, it’s technically Saturday, but I feel inclined to try and update daily so here we are again.

Today was at least a break from the norm. I spent most of the morning sleeping and then sitting around and waiting for Annie. She picked me up and we went to her house for a bit before driving to Walden. One of my goals from before was to swim across Walden Pond, and today was supposedly my attempt at doing that. After my swim across Kennedy’s Pond last week with David, I felt pretty confident in my ability, so I wasn’t too nervous.

Naturally, with my confidence raised, I decided to up the anti a bit. I mapped out a triangular route on map-my-run that would cover a mile of water. I figured it was the natural next milestone after simply swimming across.

Personally, being a relatively skinny guy, for me the hardest part about swimming is getting in the water. I’ve always hated cold water, so unless it’s a really hot day or I’m already really overheated from running, generally I’m a toe-dipping kind of person. Maybe a wader at best. So, today, the most arduous part of the swim was just getting myself submerged. Once I had dunked myself, Annie and I set out on our roughly half mile swim across the pond. It was pretty relaxed once we got going, not too cold, not too stressful. It was a very conversational pace.

We got to the other side of the pond, but Annie’s hipflexor was still bugging her and she didn’t want me to finish the swim alone, so we decided to just walk back to our stuff. It wasn’t too strenuous of a workout and at least I can say that I did it.

We toweled off and drove into Lexington center because she needed to pick up some form from her doctor. I hadn’t had lunch yet, so we grabbed some pizza at Bertucci’s and then got her stuff. She had to fax it to Amherst, but didn’t have a fax machine so we headed back to my house to do that (good thing my mom was there, since it turns out I have basically no idea how to use a fax machine, let alone understand the complex underlying fax-etiquette). Annie left, but I was hoping I’d get to see her later. She had plans to hang out with her sister and I wanted to see Paxton anyways since he was leaving on Sunday.

I ate dinner with my mother and then drove over to Pax’s. I was planning on spending the night but we ended up both being mad tired, so I headed home after a few hours. Unfortunately, things with Anna fell through and I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to see her again. Not that it’s her fault, it’s just an unfortunate trend that seems to keep coming up… Bummer.

And so, I’ve been sitting around and watching some Olympics that were on this evening for the past hour or so. The women’s 5000 meters was supposed to be on, but it seems that NBC has flaked out on us again and just lied.

Tomorrow is my last day with Annie. I don’t know how I feel about that. Oh well, if I don’t acknowledge it, it won’t happen, right?

Right.

No comments: