Monday, August 11, 2008

Tick Tock

Happy Birthday, Mom.


Time flies when you don’t want it to. I wish that I wasn’t so anxious. I’m anxious about a lot right now. I’m anxious about the trip, anxious about traveling on my own, anxious about living on my own, anxious about living in a foreign country on my own, anxious about leaving the comforts of my home, anxious about my hip, anxious about just about anything. I wish that I could practice what I preach. Sometimes I feel like I have really helpful things to say to other people, but I can never seem to apply that same lens through which I see others so clearly to myself.

I think in some ways I’m sort of in denial about this whole situation. I think that once Annie leaves it will all feel real. For now it just seems like it’s still so far away. Packing and cleaning my room seem like ridiculous tasks. I have all the time in the world, right?

Today was fun. I spent most of the morning and afternoon with Annie. We spent the morning at her house. We spent the afternoon out running some errands and visiting my elderly neighbor. It was good to check in on her, but sad since she recently lost her husband. She must be pushing 90 at this point and she was glad to have some company.

Eventually, due to the rain, we made our way over to the CA gym to work out. This was a strange experience. It was bizarre to park in my old parking spot in West Gate and walk across the quad and work out in that room that I spent so much of my senior winter and spring in. In a way, though, it was nice because I was able to do a workout much harder than I could have done 3 months ago on the elliptical machine. All in all, a solid workout, despite the fact that it felt really weird to be back there.

I picked up some Chinese food and the fam celebrated mama’s birthday. After a brief break to see Annie for a bit, we continued to watch the Olympics. Beach volleyball is a great sport to watch.

Tomorrow I get to run 7.5 miles! I’m thinking of doing it on the Great Meadows trail. I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments: