Friday, August 15, 2008

Steady Does It

David Wilder came down to Concord for the day, so I spent most of the day thinking about running. This was furthered by the fact that we both spent the late afternoon/early evening with Jon Waldron, our High School coach.

The day started when David arrived and we headed out to get some lunch and pick up Anna from her last day on the farm. We then ran over to “Fire Your Desire,” a paint-your-own-pottery place, and dropped Annie off. David and I then drove over to Kennedy’s Pond in Westford for a swim. It gave me a new appreciation for how hard it is to swim. Water is remarkably more difficult to move through than air. Still, David and I swam the farthest that I’ve ever swum, which may or may not be depressing, given that it is shorter than Michael Phelps’ cooldown swim. Still, I’ve run 4 or 5 mile cool downs after races, and I’m sure there are some people who have never run that far.

After our successful swim, we drove home and headed to Concord center to meet up with Jon. As we were driving over, the skies began to darken, which wasn’t a great sign, and as we pulled into our parking space, the heavens seemed to open. Once Jon got there we ended up sitting around for an hour or so and just talking while waiting for the worst of the storm to pass. We talked a lot about training and how the last few months have gone for me. Sometimes it’s really nice to have someone else give you a fresh perspective on things. See, I look at my training and I don’t see that much improvement because my expectations keep changing so quickly. If I could run so fast last week, then I expect to be able to run a little faster the next. But Jon was able to remind me that this really has been an incredible three months in terms of progress. Three months ago, I was running six miles a week and two miles seemed like a long-run.

Again, I hate to cut things short, but it turns out I have to get up at 6:00am tomorrow and head to Duncan’s house on the Vineyard. With that said, I’m afraid I won’t be able to update this until I get back. I’ll try to write some while I’m there and then type it up when I get back. Either way, I’ll certainly be back Monday and should be able to update then.

No comments: