Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Nigerian Prince Scam

My mother has never been great with technology. Yet, tonight, she managed to surpass my wildest expectations. While I was in the midst of a relatively important phone call (which I may get to later), I got a frantic call from my father from downstairs yelling something about anti-virus on my machines, etc. Anyways, it turned out my mother had managed to download and run some sort of Trojan program which had embedded itself in her windows system folder. Lovely. At least she didn’t send her bank account information to a prince in Zimbabwe. Sorry, Mom. It was too good a story to pass up.

Anyways, so I’ve been spending the past 40 minutes trying to make sure all our computers have anti-virus software and trying to get rid of this little bugger on my mom’s computer. Not exactly how I pictured the evening unfolding.

I actually have a lot about which I’d like to write, but it’s pretty late and I’m pretty tired, so we’ll see how far I get. I woke up relatively early this morning, around 6:30, to go for a run. I hate morning runs. I can never figure out how to time the nutrition and hydration. I always either eat too much too close to when I run and feel bloated and nauseated or I don’t eat enough and feel fatigued really quickly. Today, I basically rolled out of bed, popped a glucose tab, and hit the road.

I actually felt surprisingly decent for an early-morning run. It was pretty chilly and my pace wasn’t hard enough to warm me up right away, so I eased into it. I ran the first three miles pretty slow (around 6:45-6:50) and picked up for the last two, with the last mile almost entirely uphill. My last two splits were 6:12 and 6:15, I believe.

After the run, Addy and I had planned to go to Six Flags New England for the day, so I showered and went to pick her up. We made a pit-stop at Dunkin Donuts for some breakfast and then began the long drive out to Agawam.

Driving west on I-90 reminds me of how much of our country is undeveloped land. There are so many trees! I mean, we did pass through the bustling metropolises of Worcester and Springfield, but other than that, it’s pretty quiet scenery.

I’m going to have to dub this “To Be Continued,” because I’m far too tired to finish now.

No comments: