Friday, August 8, 2008

Open Up

I had a similar run to my Tuesday run today. I ran a 4 mile out and back on the minute man trail from Merriam’s corner. The first mile felt like I was running through sand. Every step felt like an arduous, Herculean effort. This was probably due to the still very sore hip-flexors from my Pine Hill workout on Wednesday. After a first mile of around 6:50, I picked it up a bit and ran between 6:30 and 6:40 for the rest of the run, which is about what I was aiming for with today being an easy run. The only part in which I really pushed the envelope in terms of effort was the last 400 meters or so where I picked up my stride rate a lot to practice kicking. I felt really strong and smooth for the last minute or so. I blew by a couple of middle-aged soccer moms with puppies. It felt good to open up my stride.

In other news, the opening ceremonies of the Olympics were tonight. Well, actually they were this morning, but they were broadcast tonight in America. It was a pretty humbling geographical lesson when you realize how few countries you could actually locate on a map.

Annie is gone for the weekend, which is very sad indeed, but also means I can cross a lot off the list of chores and things I need to get done before I leave. Hopefully I’ll get to do some of the fun things next week. Rock climbing? Swim across Walden? We’ll see.

On Sunday, I’m scheduled to do a pretty tough track workout: 2x400, 4x800, 2x400. We’ll see how that goes. After the relative success of the Pine Hill repeats, I’m a bit optimistic. Still, my hip flexors were really sore today and I don’t think I could have even run ONE 60 second quarter. Only time will tell.

No comments: